For over 60 years, citizens and businesses have been highlighted for their achievements in a number of categories such as; Business of the Year, Small Business of the Year, Community Excellence, Tourism, Citizen of the Year, Young Professional, and Business Person of the Year.
Nominations are now open for the 2023 Brockville and District Chamber of Commerce Awards of Excellence. Closing Friday July 7, 2023 at 4pm
Help us celebrate great business success stories from Brockville and the surrounding area by nominating your own business or recommending one that you think deserves to shine in the spotlight. Click here to lean more about this year’s award categories and criteria.
**** Save the Date: Thursday, October 19th, 2023 – Fine dining and Formal attire for this prestigious event, taking place at the Brockville Memorial Centre, 100 Magedoma Blvd., Brockville
The Ben TeKamp Memorial Award
The Ben TeKamp Memorial Award has been established to be presented to an outstanding business that is new or has reinvented itself to meet the changing needs of Leeds and Grenville.
Ben TeKamp championed and advocated for local community economic development from both a public and private perspective. Originally emigrating from Holland and growing up in a rural environment, Ben was raised on the ethics of hard work, respect and integrity. He wore many hats over the years. Be it on the farm or in the boardroom, he was a citizen of Brockville with a lengthy resume to certainly be proud of. Although best known as Mayor Ben, his political career was just one of his many contributions to the Brockville community.
He is also remembered as an accomplished businessman and a believer, supporter and motivator of new entrepreneurs and people interested in starting their own business. Working with local community economic development agencies, Ben spent years helping new businesses turn into successful livelihoods.
The Award is open to anyone living in Leeds and Grenville who exemplifies the criteria established:
- Applicants or nominees must be in the initial stages of business development, innovation or re-invigoration.
- Business history and start up effort should display some of the traits which Ben TeKamp was most noted for: perseverance, collaboration, leadership.
- Preference will be given to new businesses that have displayed strong creativity and innovation.
- Core business concept should have clear promise of growth, sustainable practices and/or exceptional vision that will contribute to business success.
- Must display how the business can make a significant contribution to the larger community of Leeds and Grenville.
- Must have demonstrated a significant effort to develop a business plan.